Sunday, June 7, 2015

Capuchin Crypt

Before getting to the Capuchin Crypt I was very skeptical of how much I would like it. I have not experienced a close death to me and often think of what my reaction will be when it does occur. I obviously cannot predict my reaction but I am admittedly afraid of when it does happen even if it is inevitable. Knowing before hand that I was going to see a series of displays of art made with real human bones did that make it any easier. I did not know what to expect, but I knew that I would not be comfortable. I agreed to go to the museum an face my fears because I did not want to make a museum visit and alone and both Franchesca and Steven were interested in going to see the crypt. To get to the museum Franchesca Steven and I took the metro from St. John’s to Barberini and walk to the crypt.
When we got in I was very relieved to see that the bones were not the first objects presented. I enjoyed reading more on the Capuchin Friars and learning more about their history and the symbols and objects that they used. I took my time going around reading all of the printed explanations. I liked the museum part very much because there was an explanation for most of the objects in exhibition so the viewer did not have to do much wondering around without knowing what they were looking at. As I got closer and closer to the crypt my anxiety levels went up a bit but I was already inside and had paid to get inside so there was no way out of this.
The first exhibition was probably the most shocking because I was still trying to get over the bones on top of my head. I did stop to read the descriptions of each exhibition but I was completely freaked out. I was able to keep my composure but I was definitely trying to move past it as quickly as I could. I was very careful not to touch anything and felt very claustrophobic at one point when I stepped into a room that had too many people and I had to stand near the back wall. I think the ones that freaked me out the most, second to the actual skulls, were the bodies that were completely preserved and were placed either standing up or laying down. Those were the constant reminders that these were actual people.

Although I was afraid of the crypt and did not want to spend much time there, one quote from the first exhibition stuck out to me and I have been thinking about it ever since: “what we are now you will be, what you are now we were.” I think that was one of the main reasons why I could not shake off the fear of the crypt because that quote is literally the point of the whole exhibition. People that lived and served their purpose in life now reminding us of what is to become of all of us. Thinking about this quote still does not prepare me for the tragedy that will be when I lose someone close to me, but it is a reminder that death comes to all, but we can continue to serve another purpose even after we are dead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment